Categories
Uncategorised

Blog 3: PLN, Inclusion, and Community Engagement

How does social media use in public discourse potentially challenge advocacy communications?

Social Media plays a significant role in the discussion of this matter. The success of Inclusion lies in the hand of public media and how they present Inclusion to the public. This issue was never a side matter to begin with; it was a top priority but is often overshadowed due to the less critical case without realizing how Inclusion can significantly benefit both the public interest and the stakeholders. Nowadays, the number of digital users is more in number compared to the past generations, with more mediums to connect (Clark and Aufderheide). That is the reason why Inclusion should be considered when developing new policies in digital media.

How diverse is your existing PLN?

My PLN is currently quite varied, but I would like to expand it and gain more experience dealing with inclusive education. From the start, I have constantly been diversifying my learning network. “You are the expert of your own experience” (Simpsons, 2021, 10:58 – 11:01). Education is an aspect of growth, but I believe that experience is far more essential and needed. We all have similar education due to the standardized teaching method, but we all have different experiences that differentiate us from others in many ways. Moreover, in terms of digital media, diversity is evident from my subscriptions to YouTube. I follow content creators based on their content and not based on their names. 

In your PLN, are you learning from a variety of voices?

I believe I am learning from various voices; I always make sure that the information registered in my brain is correct and free of any negativity. As I have said in my YouTube subscriptions, I make sure I follow content creators based on their content and value. Using this method, I am making sure that I get to compare and contrast the information and weigh out which is the best. This will also help me stay up to date with issues and development about Inclusion.

How does social media engage in advocacy communications?

Social media is an excellent medium for advocacy communication. The development of the internet redesigned our world; when everyone is interconnected, a single piece of information can be easily transmitted across the globe (Clark and Aufderheide). Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, etc., these platforms can help spread advocacy throughout the world. A single hashtag can mean a difference when spreading out messages. 

Clark, Jessica, and Patricia Aufderheide. “Media and Social Justice.” A New Vision for Public Media: Open, Dynamic, and Participatory, 2011.  http://ezproxy.library.uvic.ca/login?url=http://www.palgraveconnect.com/doifinder/10.1057/9780230119796

“EDCI 338 – 20 Minutes Moore.” YouTube, uploaded by Miller, 30 May 2021,  https://youtu.be/KeSV0rUl1bA